MakeWebGames

MCCodes v2.0.4 Released & Security Doc

Dabomstew

Yes this is what i am talking about the manually upgrade i dont have no game running up or anything but i dont like how it is it tells does not give any examples of like it only tells what to do such as it gives link of a website of what to do and an example of the forum fix they gave is this

Fix:

Sanitize the st value to be a positive integer.

what the heck do i do. i aint experienced programeer then i dont understand what that meant but it they gave a real example like how the proper fix should look like that would have been better.

So basicly imagine i make a game with the Mccodes V2.4 then after 6 months theres a new upgrade well ill have to manually do it but if i dont understand it then how will i update my copy.

Mccodes owners take into account that not everyone understands what your trying to say so it would be better if you explained in more detail and give a example of the fix so we get an idea on how it works.

And Nickinson what you on about? my message above was about manually upgrade but half of the stuff you are saying is about something else.

Manually upgrading a 2.0.3 game to include EVERYTHING in 2.0.4 would be a very long-winded, almost impossible process as the actual code changes number in the hundreds, if not over a thousand.

However, we will update the security document within the next few days to include specific fixes for the specific problems listed.

Manually upgrading a 2.0.3 game to include EVERYTHING in 2.0.4 would be a very long-winded, almost impossible process as the actual code changes number in the hundreds, if not over a thousand.

Did not ask for that LOL. i asked for a detailed and easy to understand an few examples to get me an idea of how its works, i did not ask for the whole fix like 1 by 1 on the manual (but that would be nice) but i asked for an few examples to get an idea on what to do.

Thank you that would be great and please make it detailed and easy to understand and examples would be great of the actual fix like 2,3 or even 4 or 5, examples out of 100 would be nice so we would get an idea on fixing the other 95 etc.

Thanks

Mr Moon

Edited by mr moon

No offense here, but did not read through all the post's, just scoped through them.

Making one fix to the hall of fame does not mean now it is completely fixed.

Did you perhaps think of browsing on here for actual fixes first?

Hall of Fame - [bug] fix Crystals in Hall of Fame http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/39954-Problem-with-Hall-of-Fame-in-version-2-03

That is not the only issue with the hall of fame.

Could simply just use: http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/30347-mccode-v2-Enhanced-Hall-of-fame-COMPLETED!

Another issue..

[bug] fix possible Battle Tent infinite loop

Again simply use: http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/30462-mccode-v2-Battletent-Fix

But then again, its a plus to releasing some changes.

No offense here, but did not read through all the post's, just scoped through them.

Making one fix to the hall of fame does not mean now it is completely fixed.

Did you perhaps think of browsing on here for actual fixes first?

Hall of Fame - [bug] fix Crystals in Hall of Fame http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/39954-Problem-with-Hall-of-Fame-in-version-2-03

That is not the only issue with the hall of fame.

Could simply just use: http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/30347-mccode-v2-Enhanced-Hall-of-fame-COMPLETED!

Another issue..

[bug] fix possible Battle Tent infinite loop

Again simply use: http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/30462-mccode-v2-Battletent-Fix

But then again, its a plus to releasing some changes.

Thanks for the feedback, but this *was* primarily a bugfix release and so the focus was on fixing what was there to do what was intended, not improve it.

There were some improvements made, as you can see in the changelog, but they were mostly either very important things or byproducts of the bugfixing process.

We will consider stuff like "improved" mods being integrated if there is another patch release, but there are also licensing issues associated with that even if the mods are released as "free".

To the best of our knowledge we have fixed the bugs found in v2.03.

but there are also licensing issues associated with that even if the mods are released as "free".

Licensing issues? The link's i provided are directly to modification's i submitted awhile ago. In other term's I'm saying: 'You may use these as you wish'.

By the way. Is the engine itself copyrighted yet? If not, then no "licensing issues" would be encountered am i correct?

Licensing issues? The link's i provided are directly to modification's i submitted awhile ago. In other term's I'm saying: 'You may use these as you wish'.

By the way. Is the engine itself copyrighted yet? If not, then no "licensing issues" would be encountered am i correct?

I understand that the mods that you linked to would have been absolutely fine to include in the patch. However, the process by which I compiled the patch did not include looking for topics on the forum containing mods that could improve the base engine. I was simply aiming to discover the bugs and security flaws in the script and correct them, whilst doing some other minor touchups such as standardizing the code style. I decided that the best way to patch the issues I found was simply to correct the code, as most of them were not complex problems. Whether you agree or not with this approach regarding this patch doesn't really matter as it has already been released, and does the job it is intended to (to our knowledge, at least). Again, we may release another patch in the future that *does* go down the route you suggest.

Copyright and licensing are two different issues, really. As far as copyright goes, where MCCodes is created (the country I live in), there is *no* copyright registration process whatsoever. Additionally, the codes are still protected under copyright from the date of their creation according to the copyright laws of a large amount of countries. Whether it would be prudent to register our copyright in certain other prominent countries where such registration is possible & helpful is another matter.

As far as licensing goes? If you were to release some code under a GPL license, and I was to include it in a product I was selling without asking you to relicense it, you could take action against me regardless of the copyright status or license of my for sale product. That is where licensing issues could arise.

We will consider stuff like "improved" mods being integrated if there is another patch release, but there are also licensing issues associated with that even if the mods are released as "free".

Not really a good idea to use mods created by other. Take ideas by all means, but create it yourself, and avoid all problems you listed above.

Btw - nice to see yet more updates. :)

I understand that the mods that you linked to would have been absolutely fine to include in the patch. However, the process by which I compiled the patch did not include looking for topics on the forum containing mods that could improve the base engine. I was simply aiming to discover the bugs and security flaws in the script and correct them, whilst doing some other minor touchups such as standardizing the code style. I decided that the best way to patch the issues I found was simply to correct the code, as most of them were not complex problems. Whether you agree or not with this approach regarding this patch doesn't really matter as it has already been released, and does the job it is intended to (to our knowledge, at least). Again, we may release another patch in the future that *does* go down the route you suggest.

Copyright and licensing are two different issues, really. As far as copyright goes, where MCCodes is created (the country I live in), there is *no* copyright registration process whatsoever. Additionally, the codes are still protected under copyright from the date of their creation according to the copyright laws of a large amount of countries. Whether it would be prudent to register our copyright in certain other prominent countries where such registration is possible & helpful is another matter.

As far as licensing goes? If you were to release some code under a GPL license, and I was to include it in a product I was selling without asking you to relicense it, you could take action against me regardless of the copyright status or license of my for sale product. That is where licensing issues could arise.

No to be a wise guy but you might want to explain all that licensing info to this guy http://ravan.info/ who is still selling your codes and has been for a long time. Years.