MakeWebGames

Softimage hard body animation

a_bertrand

Hi,

As I work for a Gov. Research institute, I have access to educational software and therefore have access to all Autodesk software... for free. Which is kinda cool. Softimage is a little 3000$ the first year and about 1000$ per year later on. No way I will spend that much just to play with a software.

Anyhow, I wanted to test a few things as many described softimage as one of the coolest complete 3D software out there.

To test things I don't have in the current packages I tried the hard body simulation, which is all the simulations of objects which doesn't deform. Like metal balls bouncing, or snooker games etc...

I wanted to check also how quick it is, and how the render perform, without tweaking it a lot. Here is a first trial after 2 days training myself (not full time ;) )

And two more videos with recoil, the interesting part here is that handles the chain elements correctly, the chain do not break and elements follow each others. Better than expected. Slow motion due to the fact I wanted to see really the motion ;)

Second video, was a fun test, to see if the ball would follow the path and rotate. Maybe I didn't set the friction high enough: