MakeWebGames

Blekko - another search engine

a_bertrand

I don't know you, but I use Google.com for most of my internet search, however I must admit that I start to be slowly tired of a lot of issues about google. First of all Google seems to be a kind of "big brother" to me, watching all, controlling all, and this is somewhat annoying. I know most of you could not care less about this. Yet something which does touch all, is that the relevance of the search result is not always that good anymore, why? because many times you end up with sites in the first positions which means nothing as they are just like "honey pots" just there attract the visitors but don't offer any kind of information. Odd that those starts to be more and more present... well actually not that odd as the market behind such thing (called SEO for example) is extremely lucrative. Google can try as much as they want, trying to squeeze some "smartness" into their engine, but until they succeed creating true artificial intelligence I doubt they will filter out those stupid websites. (If actually it is not Google themselves which receive money to put those sites on front)

Now, as the time pass, some solution need to be found, and looking around I found the following website:

http://blekko.com/

How does differ from bling or google? Well the idea is quiet smart even if I'm not 100% happy with it so far. The idea is that instead of searching in the jungle of the web and hoping to find the right page (by giving an artificial score to it), blekko relies on 2 things.

1) A spider system like any other search engine, which will crawl the web.

2) A human based list of sites per subject

That means, if you look for a specific subject like "object oriented programming" you will find tons of things... yet let's add php as keyword... and of course it finds a bit less... but what if I really want to see only PHP releated websites? then add a "slashtag" by doing /php instead of the php keyword... and blekko will find only in human approved websites about php.

You can create your own slashtags, share them with friends or become an editor of the official one. Yet better you can even tags a site as spam and you will never see it again, or see SEO data about this site etc...

I think blekko offers a lot of fresh ideas in a spammy world, definitively something to test, not so sure to be used as unique search engine.