MakeWebGames

Java creator James Gosling left Sun / Oracle and will join Google

a_bertrand

First of all don't mix Java with Javascript. Those are 2 completly different language which share basically nothing beside both may run inside the browser in a way or in another.

The "father" of Java (at that time working by Sun Microsystems) James Gosling left Sun / Oracle little after Oracle bought Sun... (goal of Oracle was quiet certainly the Java technology)

Now Gosling decided to join Google ranks, without saying much what will be his tasks, even if personally I presume he will work on Android. Not sure if you know it or not, but the Android OS works basically with a virtual machine which is not that far from Java and actually you actually compile Java sources / byte code into Android own format (.dex). So no real wonder what the father of Java could do by Google, right?

This however let me think about about own Java future. First of all Java is by no mean completely open source. Specification, rights and much more are under control of Oracle. Also, who will really continue to develop it since it's creator is not anymore interested to work on it nor with the companies owning it? I would say, if you check the latest Java release, it's basically slowing down... and actually even not trying to create new features beside looking at .NET and trying to implement the same things.

It's so bad for Java (in my opinion), that people are even creating new languages to replace it and yet being binary compatible: http://www.scala-lang.org/

So is it the death of Java yet? No, certainly not, it is way too much used by companies to simply go in the trash can tomorrow, however it seems it doesn't gather as much interest anymore and that people are shifting toward other options for new projects.

Again this is mainly my own opinions and may not reflect completely the truth.

dang i'm just starting to learn java :(

after i learned enough i was planning to get a couple of people to help and start making a 3d game that i thought of

seeing that it would probably take a couple of years (maybe less depending on who and how many people i have helping) to do that do you think java would still be supported by the main os's (linux,windows,mac) by then?

Yes I believe it will still work in 3-5 years. However I would not choose Java for the creation of a 3D game. 3D games are resources intensive and requires a good link to the hardware. Java doesn't offer a very good 3D library and the implementations I saw are sluggish.

For a 3D game I would really pick: http://unity3d.com/ which offers a complete free environment for the game creation and can be coded in C# or Javascript. Also the game can run on Mac, Linux and Windows as well as on iPhone and Android phones. And cherry on the cake can be run within browsers too.