MakeWebGames

mod_rewrite: Prevent XSS?

Amanda<3

Well, i know how to do it the old way, url by url by url. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a more shortcut approach to keep XSS out of the url using mod_rewrite. Also, i currently have a rewrite function that rewrites my URL's for me:

function rewriteURI($URI,$argSeperator="/"){	    $origURI = $URI;		    $requestURI = preg_replace("/^\/?([A-Z0-9_-]+)\.php(.+)?$/i","$1", $origURI);			$requestURI = '/'.$requestURI.'/';			    $params = explode("?",$origURI);                $args = explode("&", $params[1]);				$queryString = '';                    foreach($args as $arg){					    $parts = explode("=", $arg);						    $queryString .= $parts[1].$argSeperator;											   }				     				    $rewrittenURI = preg_replace("/^(.*)\\$argSeperator$/i","$1", $queryString);					$rewrittenURI = $requestURI.$rewrittenURI;					$rewrittenURI = $rewrittenURI;										    return $rewrittenURI;}

Basically that is what i'm using to turn this: page.php?arg1=foo&arg2=bar, into /page/foo/bar. Is this a good method?

Well, sure you could prevent ANY kind of tag / scripts and therefore you would prevent XSS. You can find pre-made PHP library which will check if your parameters (GET, POST, COOKIES) are potentially harmful or not.

A good example of what you could use:

http://phpids.org/

demo under:

http://demo.phpids.org/

This lib prevent XSS as well as SQL injection.

However, honestly, it doesn't completely replace a well secured code.