MakeWebGames

Fantasy Style Engine

Mambug

Hey all,

I intend to develop a fantasy based MMORPG Text-Based game engine. Now, I know the common engines are out there are turn-based/energy based etc.

I'd like to create a whole new style of game play, and I figured why not ask here.

So far, what I have thought of incorporating was a Health/Mana system, custom inventory (Think of WoW/D2 as Seanybob said) gaming except text based.

Opinions?

Re: Fantasy Style Engine

it's already been done on a game i have been deving for 3 years now

I asked for opinions and ideas, not what shoes you wear on a Saturday night.

:-o ROFL...................

Just got back off the floor

sorry (spam) but that made me

(on topic) games like this need alot of thoguh on ways of doing things i know my friend has been developing on in VB for soem time. and hes doing it with 4 different types of races and then applying different moves and weapons to them.

:)

it's already been done on a game i have been deving for 3 years now

I asked for opinions and ideas, not what shoes you wear on a Saturday night.

LOL!!!!

i like the race idea, or make it like you can be evil or good, and you chose at the begining and what you chose effects your later game.

OR

When you do something like a mission, you get two options, the good or the bad mission. and all the good choices you chose add up and all the bad do and it determins if your player is bad or good

Well i made a game like this its a war based game there is prolly a better way to do it.But i made a register page when you register you choose your "race" or in my game branch of military.And each branch has a ID.Just add an if statment if class= (whatever ID).I know it takes alot of codeing,but its sumin a little different.I can help ya out if needed.(and sorry if this dosent make any sence its 1 am here and i havent slept in the past 2 days) :-(

I appreciate the offer for help, but I am fully capable of doing this myself. :wink: As far as the game idea goes, my engine development will be pushed back a little. I have to now develop my own custom auction website for a relative.

I still plan on developing this engine, however now I have a whole lot more time to brainstorm on how to set it up.

• 4 years later...

In answer to your question, I have one:

What do you mean by not using Energy/turn based but instead by using Health/Mana?

I was thinking something along the lines myself a while ago, Abandoned it because it did not fit my style of play, Here it is, maybe you'd use it.

Essentially, The player can play as long as he/she wants, but every action uses up a tiny bit of stamina, if they decide to rest (sit down for a moment) they gain back some stamina. After using up 18 hours of time, their character starts to get tired faster, they can't perform actions easily, negative buff, etc..

Eventually the player says: ok.. enough is enough, I gotta rest. he finds a place to rest, sets up some bedroll/gets a room at a tavern and goes to sleep. When he does. the player logs out for the day. The character sleeps until the player logs in again (maximum 9 hours).

If the player logs in early, the character is up.. but has a small negative buff for the first few hours (lack of sleep).

While this is different from what you said.. adjust it in this way: The players can play online as long as their hero has health, small healing potions will bring back few HP, but you have a max potion per day limit (or they work less effectively). When your character gets to town for rest, the player logs out for the day. come back tomorrow.. kinda thing..

Hope this helps your question..