MakeWebGames

OpenDominion

WaveHack

Hello everyone! Today I want to share with you my project which I've been working on for the past six years.

It's called OpenDominion, and it is a free and online competitive text-based multiplayer strategy game in a medieval fantasy setting. The project is an open-source remake of Kamikaze Games' Dominion (mirror of the original game, now defunct), which existed from 2000 to 2012.

The game is tick-based (hourly), played in rounds of 50 days. Most actions take up to 12 hours to process. It's typically played by logging in a few times a day throughout a round, although you can play more actively if you want to. You work together with other people in your realm to invade and spy on people in other realms. Features include: exploring (or conquering) land, building a plethora of different buildings (which improve your dominion in different ways), managing your population (and keeping them well-fed and employed), training your army (with racial-specific units with different race/unit bonuses), magical spells (to benefit yourself or hinder enemies), and espionage operations (to gather enemy information).

The unofficial goal is to end the round with the most land, whether through exploring or invading (or both!). At the end of the round the leaderboards (called Valhalla) are updated, and a new round usually starts a few days after. There are multiple ways to play and multiple leaderboards to aim for.

Currently the game is early in round 12, with over 150 people playing, and a vibrant Discord community. Most of the big planned features are implemented, including 6 of the approx 21 races, and the recently added and long-awaited invasion system!

Links:

The game is behind login wall with no guest accounts, so here are a few screenshots to give you a rough idea:

The game is completely free to play, with no premium currencies, microtransactions, lootboxes, or advertisements. The project is also open-source like mentioned, with two people (me included) actively working on it.

If you've any questions (also about the tech stack), feel free to ask!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...