MakeWebGames

Shooting Stars

The Ace

Hey all. I have been looking up a few new techniques to use on Photoshop and mustered up this:

(I'll post a thumbnail):

th_ss2.jpg

I used a space brush for the colourful background and planet brushes for the two planets. I then made the shooting stars with one brush set to dissolve and warped it.

I think it looks quite good, because the space background is nice in my opinion. I really like the shooting stars because they look realistic.

All comments and criticisms are welcome. How can this image be improved?

Thanks in advance. :D

Guest Anonymous

Re: Shooting Stars

I believe he means too many colors, too many different items of movement. There is no real focal point so your eyes just dont know what to look at. It a lil too chaotic.

Guest Anonymous

In the end any graphics are art and it's a personal choice of what you , yourself like.

I can understand that you don't want the image to be boring, but IMO your use of color is just a lil too blatant....color is good...in spacespaces adding a lil color on an overlay layer adds nice depth.

Take this image for example..

http://www.madtomatoe.com/wp-content/up ... iverse.jpg

I cant say its boring....if you added another planet and maybe a spaceship of some sort it would be a very active image...you could even add some soft purples and green into the clouds....maybe one small shooting star.

When you take a picture generally there is one thing you are focusing on...the rest is just embellishments. Im not sure what you want us to see from your image.

Ah, OK.

So, how many/what sort of colours do you, personally, think I should use?

All I was doing was trying out a new technique I have recently learned, and wanted to apply a background to it. So, the main focal point is probably the two shooting stars.

To make them stand out more, do you recommend dimming the colours of the space background? I'd really like to improve this image...

Guest Anonymous

If you want the shooting stars to be your focal point then you need to tone down the planets for sure....they are VERY bright and really seem one dimensional, especially the blue one. Keep in mind there should be a light source on every image that highlights as well as casts shadows on all objects. Right now they look exactly like what they are a planet brush done in a color...which btw you can see stars from the background thru :|

Id then add some cloud into the background as well as over the planets a bit to add depth to the overall image. You can keep all the shades you are using in the image but soften them all ...colors should be added on a low opacity overlay or soft light layer. One you find a shade you like you can always make a new layer set it to overlay or soft light and simply add brightness or contrat by brushing only with black and white. Or you can just add a brightness and contrast layer...but that affects the whole image...brushing you can choose where you want to do what with more control.

Now as for the stars...they arent bad spaced out...and one does seem to be a lil further away..the clouds should be placed on layer both under and over the stars to help magnify the distance. On the closer star you probably could add details such as a firey orb at its head...more of a tail down its center...and even some spinning trails around it.