MakeWebGames

Making A template

Jake

I have never used a template or even though about using one before until i decided to do some work outside of MC Codes. I am just making a general website and i was wondering if someone could help me develop the template for it.

Just to clarify i don't know what information you need.

The content down the side of the page changes with each page, the content at the top stays the same throughout the web page being viewed and the main content goes into the middle.

The main troubles i thought of (why i couldn't do it myself) Were the links as images/buttons. The adaptable size to a users browser etc.. And the fact that i don't have a clue how to implement it with my site.

Here is the .JPG image of what i want it to look like.

http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=layoutxg8.jpg

If someone could make it into a template (don't know how easy it is or anything) then i would appreciate it.

Or if someone could tell me how to implement ones i download from other sites.

Or even better if someone could guide me through making that into a template (if its not too much hassle?)

Please get back to me.

Guest Anonymous

Re: Making A template

Templates are just images, html and css....if you have downloaded some its simply a matter of uploading the image folder, html files, and css files to your ftp and editing to suit your needs..

Looks pretty simplistic what you want...but you are gonna need to know a good base of html.

Yeah its a relatively simple template.

So i've downloaded a free one just to test with. So obviously i edit the PSD file to have the company info on it? And then what i just upload it, and the pages fit in as they are supposed to.

What i wouldn't understand how to do is make it fit everyones browser size, and have links within it?

Where can i learn the HTML required to do this?

Guest Anonymous

when you edit the psd make sure you save it under save for web ...as long as you dont play with the slices the coding will stay the same as the original template and only the images will be edited...

Ok thanks for the help. just to practice i downloaded some free templates, and it seems that each page has all of that crap about the layout at the top, and then you have to have that at the top of a page for it to look like that.

But ... Could i put it all into a header file, and then just require this at the start of each page?

Guest Anonymous

Yes you can use headers and require...its actually easier if your site contains multiple pages to do this. Makes for easier editing later on as well. Sidebar and footer are two others ...you may want to consider.

Decepti0n is right coding it fresh usually is better the photoshop save but if you are editing a downloaded template that has coding done already ...meaning just changing the logo or an image but not altering the dimensions or anything you can use the save for web in photoshop...basically all you are doing is changing the preexisting image slices. So you use prexisting code and update image folder.

*Remember this only works if you dont change the proportions of any of the slices...if you do ...you will need to amend the coding to take this into account.

Either way you will need to know your way around html and css.

Guest Anonymous

You can use includes in php, but not in just html

For that template i'd put the entire top and left in the header file, and call it on every page (would have to be with php though)

D'oh yea...but its pretty simple to make the html into a php file... there is already alot of html on php :-)

U dont need to know a lot of html and you dont need to know any css. (very easy) If you know php then use that. And if you want your login to show online users, high score, etc then you need to make it connect to your database.

include "config.php"

that would be what mccodes would be used for. Dont use config on your game just because people can hack your server easy.

You need to know it if you wanna be any good at anything, since its the basis of a web page. And i dont know why people keep saying 'dont do this or they can just hack you', can you hack meeeee?

Did I say I can? No I didnt

I said its very easy to because there is a way to figure out how to read that file. So many people have mccodes and have learned them. So if someone wanted to then they could.

Guest Anonymous

I dont think this template was for a game ...but I could be wrong.

And templates are coded in html or xhtml and css, so Im with Decepti0n...quality does matter...there is really no sense prettying up a page if you arent going to do it properly. Even if the end result is php its based in html first.

• 3 weeks later...

U dont need to know a lot of html and you dont need to know any css. (very easy) If you know php then use that. And if you want your login to show online users, high score, etc then you need to make it connect to your database.

include "config.php"

that would be what mccodes would be used for. Dont use config on your game just because people can hack your server easy.

Wrong! You just need to know how to make it so they cant read that file, if you keep the config.php file in you public_html directory then of course it can be gotten into easily, but if you put it outside the public_html directory the web browser cannot pick up that file and thus can only be read by ftp or cpanel access =)

Even without moving the script, unless your config.php isn't actually a php file (just plaintext that is parsed), it would have to print something to give any info away - going to the MCcodes v2.0 config.php in a browser just gives a blank page as nothing is outputted - it's all PHP code (unless there's a server error which makes PHP source display instead of run - this happened on TC once or twice)

Yeah... but you missed the point... he said someone will find away to get around it and find it or somat... I told him that if you move it outside there is noway for them to do anything unless they got access to FTP/Cpanel, or the actuall server. Its was more a security issue I think...